Historical Research Resources
(Redirected from Mend Historical Research Resources)
This page has been set up to document resources we've found useful for historical research.
Burton Historical Collection at Detroit Public Library
- Polk City Directories (research by address or name)
- Sanborn Maps (tax maps of the area)
- Historical City Atlases
- Address Change Directory (behind librarian's desk) Required for looking up addresses prior to 1920 change.
- Archived newspapers (online at Burton - some accessible on microfiche, some digitized online)
- Reading Room File
Old photo achives:
- Early Detroit Images, Burton Historical Collection
- Detroit Publishing Company
- Virtual Motor City, Wayne State University
- Historic Map Works - Residential Genealogy
- Library of Congress - Detroit Publishing Company
- Bentley Historical Library Image Bank (University of Michigan)
- Historicdetroit.org A collection of photos of buildings, places and landmarks
- Ancestry.com (requires a subscription, or is available at public library)
- Google Book Search is good for researching people.
- Detroit street number and street name changes. Also includes 1928 Polk City Directory and a link to information about historic districts.
- Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan
- Library of Michigan / Archives of Michigan (Lansing) 1870 Census is digitized and available online.
- Detroit Historical Society (Detroit Historical Museum and Dossin Great Lakes Museum)
- Detroit Historic District Commission
- Historic Designation Advisory Board A good source for pictures of a house.
- Wayne County Register of Deeds
- Society of American Archivists
- Manning Bros Historic Photographic Collection, Woodward Ave, Detroit (view photos by appointment)
- Burton Historical Collection at DPL
- State archives
- Corporation records
- National Automotive Heritage Collection (part of Det Pub Lib)
- Detroit Auto Dealers Archives
- Preservation Detroit